Pages

As Small as a Poppy Seed

Andy and I had been trying to conceive for about a year. I had been getting pretty discouraged about our lack of success, and had sort of given up on “trying” and just let go of trying to control the situation. Of course this is always the time when God shows you he was in control all along, and surprises you with such a precious gift. As I hadn’t really been monitoring, I wasn’t really sure when I would be considered late or not - but on the last Saturday morning in June I realized I had needed to get up and use the restroom during the middle of the night multiple times. This was very foreign for me - I typically sleep solid without interruption. So as I was getting up at 5am for a bathroom break, I thought for the first time I could be pregnant. I decided to take a test - which immediately confirmed my suspicions! I went back to bed where Andy was sleeping, and quietly announced the news. He was so excited and we just laid there soaking up this realization that our dream had come true. We already had a very exciting day on the lake planned - so got to spend it together just soaking up the sun and enjoying being on the water.


A week later we were heading to my brother & sister-in-law’s house in MO for the fourth of July weekend. We were cautious to share the news so quickly - but ultimately knew that being with them for 5 days it couldn’t be avoided. Besides that, we were so excited to tell them! We flew in on a Thursday night, and although I had been trying to think of a creative way to tell them I kept coming up blank. That night when we got there my parents were there as well, and my brother offered Andy and I something to drink, which we declined. About a half hour later he said “Are you sure I can’t get you a glass of wine?” to which I replied “No, I don’t think it’s good for the baby...” It took just a second for this to sink in before my entire family came rushing over to love on and congratulate us. It was so joyous to tell them, and made it so much more real!

Now that my family knew, we were anxious to share the news with Andy’s family as well. It worked out that we could go to visit them in OK the following weekend. It was a few weeks after father’s day, so we owed Andy’s dad a gift. We found this hilarious shirt online that was the logo for “The Godfather” - but instead said “The Grandfather.” We came in Friday night and it was quite eventful, so we decided to give the gift at breakfast Saturday. As we were wrapping up our meal we brought out the present - so he opened that and held it up and said “Thanks guys - that’s neat,” then he turned it around for everyone else to see. Andy’s mom was the first to process it, but was so shocked! She told him to turn it back around again - after which he realized it did not say the Godfather! They were all in disbelief and so excited - it again was such a blessing to share this news with our families.


We are so blessed to have two sets of the most loving grandparents and two sets of the best Uncles and Aunts! It was great to get to share the news with all of them in person so early so that we can share the entire journey with them together - we are due March 3rd!!

No comments:

Post a Comment